May 23, 2011
Identity Design and Packaging: Notes from the 2011 Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild Annual Conference
Below is the outline to the presentation I gave at the 2011 Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild Annual Conference on Friday, May 20, 2011 in Miami, FL.
We have also made the 90 minute presentation available in PDF format for you:
Download Identity-Design-HSMG-2011.pdf (104 slides, 26MB)
Meet the Team
Look, Learn, Collaborate, and Connect
Part 1 - Design Theory and Design 101: technical and theoretical overview
- Layout and Grid
- The Project Triangle (Choose 2: Good, Cheap, Fast)
Part 2 - Holistic Design: integrating heart and passion for your business with your branding
Are you asking the right questions? Who are my customers?
Is my product local, national or global? Is my product serious or playful? Is my product a luxury or commodity? What other brands would I compare myself to? What other brands do I want to avoid looking like?
- Nike - Just Do It Milk - Got Milk?
- American Express - Don’t leave home without it
- Allstate - Your in good hands with Allstate
- Apple - Think different
- M&Ms - Melts in your mouth, not in your hand (not really)
With the logo finalized and your product in hand one could think why don’t I just slap a sticker on a bottle or a box and there we go? This would be a big mistake because this is where it really all comes together. This will be the culmination of what you have dreamed and created. This is what will go in people’s hands and homes.
Are you asking the right questions?
- How does my logo connect to my packaging?
- Do I want a bar completely wrapped or partially wrapped?
- Do I need excessive packaging?
- Can I get everything to be recyclable?
- Is it made from recycled paper or plastic?
Part 3 - Design Process: taking dreams into reality
ThinkHouse Collective logo process
- Final Logo (Colors: RGB, CMYK, Black and Format: PDF, EPS, JPEG, TIFF, PSD, Icon)
- Logo Integration (Business cards, postcard)
- Artists Moving
- Caffe Santoro
- MB Realty
Part 4 - Case Studies: successful brands have successful design
- Big Coffee Brands
- Micro Roasters
- Big Soap Brands
- Well branded soaps
About Mazzarello Media and Arts
Born from the imaginations of husband and wife team Bryan and Stephanie, Mazzarello Media and Arts is an artisan design studio based in Oakland, California. We collaborate with businesses, non-profits and artists whose enthusiasm for their trade feeds our creativity and inspires our problem-solving instincts. We also care deeply for social justice and environmental issues, which weighs heavily in our business decisions from ink and paper to the non-profits we support. A new project is like getting our caffeine fix—we get a rush from new opportunities to learn and collaborate. We strongly value what you entrust to us: your dream, your vision, your passion.